Director(s): Hubert Sauper
Short synopsis : From world-renowned filmmaker Hubert Sauper - director of Sundance winner WE COME AS FRIENDS and the Oscar®-nominated DARWIN’S NIGHTMARE - comes EPICENTRO, an immersive and metaphorical portrait of post-colonial, “utopian” Cuba, where the 1898 explosion of the USS Maine still resonates.
Long synopsis : This Big Bang ended Spanish colonial dominance in the Americas and ushered in the era of the American Empire. At the same time and place, a powerful tool of conquest was born: cinema as propaganda. In EPICENTRO, Sauper explores a century of interventionism and myth-making together with the extraordinary people of Havana-particularly its children, who he calls “young prophets" - to interrogate time, imperialism and cinema itself.
- Leonelis Arango Salas, Annielys Pelladito Zaldivar, Yorlenis David de la Cruz Leyva, Oona Castilla Chaplin
- Producer(s): Daniel Marquet, Martin Marquet, Gabriele Kranzelbinder, Paolo Calamita
- Director(s): Hubert Sauper
- Screenplay: Hubert Sauper
- DP: Hubert Sauper
- Editing: Yves Deschamps, Hubert Sauper
- Original Music: Zsuzsanna Varkonyi, Maximilian ‘Twig’ Turnbull
- Executive Producers: Dan Cogan, Michael Donaldson
- Genre(s): Documentary, Political
- Production company: Groupe DEUX, KGP Filmproduktion, Little Magnet Films